Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Orlan the Experimental

Orlan is artist from France who began her artwork by suggesting the idea of artists could the art work themselves. Whether is it dressing up, masks, sculpture or even plastic surgery her body and face become her artwork. So in this case you either love her work or hate it. Either way let's continue the blog.

One of her earlier works is in an art gallery where she would wear a board/baiser that has a naked image of a woman's body. On that baiser there is a coin insert case and the point of it was put money in it and the person gets a kiss.


I find some of her work interesting, in fact I wouldn't mind trying out some of those type of work, but what caught me off guard was that she preforms plastic surgery for her art. At first thought ".... why is it always needles...?" but then I snapped out of it and actually thought about it, and it made sense. After all her art work involves her body, the artist itself. What better way to use it with all the technology around you. As much I admire her art work, I know I don't have the courage to do such thing. The part where she was awake during surgery didn't bother me, her cheek sliced opened, blood, etc didn't bother me one bit. It was the needles around her that bothered me, but then again I hate needles in general. So kudos Orlan.



No comments:

Post a Comment