Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jazz, Flappers, Illegal Drinks, Great Depression vs Today

There we go a topic with a bit more meaning in my opinion, The Roaring Twenties! Kind of interesting of how banning drinks could bring up such cultural change. We got people from all kinds of class (rich, middle, and poor) mingling together in order to enjoy the life against the law. There are the flappers, women doing things and wearing less clothes (during its time), and expressing themselves. Last but not least, Jazz came to life as if became the music of the moment. Looking through American history I gotta say the 1920's sounded as if was paridise compare to Europe and its situation at the time.

Personally I enjoy jazz music along with blues and gospel even though I am not religious (lol). The beat itself gives it a mellow effect and yet you can't help but enjoy flow and beat as if you want to dance to it. During class, Santi mentioned about where Jazz came from. It made remember when I met this Black man on a base listening to Jazz. I believe I was seven years old and he would mention without blues and rag time the essence of Jazz would not of existed. Thinking back on it, I didn't quite understand what he meant that the black community started to rise up to society mainly because I was seven and some of my friends who were black would get into fights from being different. Europe was/is a bit more harsh from what I have experienced towards Blacks and what I am labled as "half-humans" so I figured they were still fighting for their freedom.

Oh btw, for those think I am saying Black to be racist, rest assured I am not. I just grew up in a neighborhood where you call out the person by their skin tone (white, black, brown, orange, coco cream, etc) and no one takes offense towards it. Then I come to America and then everyone tells me since I appear white I can't speak they way I normally could and my Turkish is that of Black slang thanks to my hometown. Yay... the only city in the entire country that speaks slang Turkish. However, I believe I have adapted well for the most part.

Sadly, after partying for 10 years the Roaring Twenties have ended with a horrible crash which is now known as the Great Depression. In my mind all I thought about was: "You would think when everyone does counter fitting on cash that they will know that they will screw themselves over in the next few years". Nope... instead people knew cash, cars, the moving pictures, were very important and if their neighbors did it, by gosh they got to do it as well. Jokes aside, yeah it was bloody horrible event that I will say is much more worse than the current economy we are experiencing... for now.

Sure America is suffering unemployment rate, but back in Turkey I have seen half the streets deserted and much more people dying from starvation. When the majority of Americans can't afford to buy food then I would agree that this current situation is equivalent to the Great Depression or probably even worse with the current technology today. Crops can still grow because the weather is decent for the most part unlike during the Great Depression dust bowls popped out destroying the soil and the food along with it.

For the most part I have the same fear that Santi does about violence solving the economics situation. Greece and Egypt are pretty good examples of the violence that could easily be seen in public world wide. Hell, even with Turkey I see more of my generation leaving the country because of the government situation along with the military, and the fact Turkey is slowly falling back in the traditionalist state. It may not be as clear in the popular cities for any country because they are trying not show any vulnerability, but  I can honestly say my hometown took one step froward then three steps back especially with the mafia and sex trade scandals that have been going on. It is getting to the point where some government officials are waiting for that one special event to have an excuse to fight back to solve the problem temporarily.

Anyway here are some links I have found. Enjoy

http://www.redhotjazz.com/originsarticle.html

http://www.ozsons.com/OriginofJazzE.htm (My god the website looks horrible. I find it sad that I could do a better job and I just started Online Production.)

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/speak.htm (Some of the slang is actually quite funny while others we still use today).

No comments:

Post a Comment